Swedish for International Students and Researchers, Course 4
9 credits cr.
- Gå till denna sida på svenska webben
The course is aimed at international students and researchers at Stockholm University who need to be able to communicate in Swedish, and want to improve their oral and written skills and ability to express themselves. Students practice their abilities to narrate, describe, discuss, give presentations and produce written assignments.
The course may not be included in a degree at Stockholm University, either as a main field of study or as additional studies.
This course is given
- once during the autumn and once during the spring semester in period 1.
- as a complementary course. Due to a limited number of places priority is given to new students.
Admission and registration
Swedish language course 4 for international students consists of a limited number of tutorials in study groups of approxiamtely 20 to 30 students.
- Regular homework, assignments and self study is compulsory.
- Classes are scheduled one afternoon or evening per week.
- Active participation and a passing grade on the final examination is prerequisite for receiving credit points, as well as for admission to a higher level.
- Examination is a final exam which will be held when the whole course is completed. points will not be given, you will receive a G which is short for godkänd (pass) or a U which is short for underkänd (fail).
- The course practices oral communication in everyday situations and the production of basic coherent texts about familiar topics or personal interests, where the student can account for personal experiences, events, dreams, hopes and objectives, as well as motivate and explain opinions and plans in brief.
- During the course the student will practice applying the basic rules of grammar, pronunciation and spelling of the standard language.
- The course includes practical exercises in order to develop students' ability to communicate in Swedish on the intermediate level and give oral presentations in Swedish.
- Based on an extensive reading of fictional and non-fictional texts and listening to interviews and radio programs, studies cover vocabulary, pronunciation and grammar as well as oral and writing skills.
Please see the Syllabus.
Search for the examiner in the pdf file by using the course code NS004 (PC: ctrl + F, Mac: cmd + F).
ScheduleThe schedule will be available no later than one month before the start of the course. We do not recommend print-outs as changes can occur. At the start of the course, your department will advise where you can find your schedule during the course.
Fall 2022 (HT22)
- All registered students will have the opportunity to make a group selection in the learning platform Athena before the course starts.
- Information about the group selection will be sent in the welcome letter, a few days before the course starts.
Course literatureNote that the course literature can be changed up to two months before the start of the course.
- This course is given free of charge to international students admitted to a course, exchange program, bachelor/master or an equivalent agreement containing at least 15 ECTS at Stockholm University meeting our requirements.
- Under certain conditions a student may need to pay a fee for taking this course.
ContactCourse administration – Swedish for International Students and Employees