Multidisciplinary Master´s Thesis in Demography
The course is provided full-time in the last semester of the Multidisciplinary Master ́s Programme in Demography. In the course the student will acquire the ability to independently carry out a research project with demographic relevance and report the outcome in a thesis.
Upon the completion of the course the student is expected to be able to:
In terms of knowledge and understanding:
- Interpret demographic data and research results and discuss their validity
In terms of accomplishments and competence:
- Formulate relevant demographic research questions and hypotheses
- Link theory and appropriate methods for a specific demographic research question
- Work independently to carry out a scientific study of demographic relevance
- Write and present a scientific text with demographic content
- Write and present a report on demographically relevant questions that can be understood by persons without special knowledge in the area
In terms of attitudes and values:
- Search for, compare and critically review demographic data and literature relevant for a particular research question
- Identify and deal with ethical questions in demographic research
Teaching is provided via an introductory seminar, thesis supervision, mid-term seminar and a thesis seminar.
The thesis is presented at a public seminar and critically reviewed by an assigned discussant. All students are expected to participate at two or more thesis seminars as well as to provide questions, comments regarding other students’ theses.
Course responsible: Senior Lecturer Livia Olàh
Expected examiners autumn 2020 (387 Kb)