Baltic History of Literature and Cultural History
7.5 credits cr.
- Gå till denna sida på svenska webben
The course consists of a detailed review of the history of Baltic literature and Baltic cultural history and an advanced analysis of significant cultural manifestations and major contemporary authors.
The course aims at providing in-depth knowledge of Baltic literary history and cultural history, as well as an advanced analysis of the development and context of Baltic literature and culture.
By the end of this course, the student will be able to:
- demonstrate advanced knowledge about the history of Baltic literature and Baltic cultural history
- formulate a theoretical discussion on the development and conditions pertaining to Baltic literature and Baltic cultural history.
Instruction is in the form of lectures and seminars.
The language of instruction is English.
Instruction is either web-based/online or on campus, according to how the course event is defined.
Mandatory course elements: participation in discussions and seminars on campus or via the university education platform or other web-based service. Assignment submission deadlines are mandatory elements of the course. The completion of the mandatory course elements are required for students to be eligible to participate in subsequent examinations.
Grading criteria and grading (in Swedish)
BAL740 Betygskriterier (305 Kb)
Examination takes place through submitted assignments and participation in seminars. Continuous examination takes place through written assignments submitted in connection with each seminar. The principles for weighting individual course assignments are described in the grading criteria.
Examination takes place in English.
Examinatorer VT2022 (238 Kb)
ScheduleThe schedule will be available no later than one month before the start of the course. We do not recommend print-outs as changes can occur. At the start of the course, your department will advise where you can find your schedule during the course.
Note that the course literature can be changed up to two months before the start of the course.
- Kasekamp, Andres: A History of the Baltic States, 2010.
- Misiunas, R.J. & Taagepera, R. - The Baltic States: Years of Dependence, 1940-1990. (Expanded and updated ed.) London: Hurst. 1993
- Forgotten Pages in Baltic History: Diversity and Inclusion. On the Boundary of Two Worlds: Identity, Freedom, & Moral Imagination in the Baltics. Editions Rodopi. 2011 [Electronic resource]
- Purs, A., Baltic Facades: Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania since 1945. Reaktion: London, 2012
- Pettai, E., (ed.): Memory and pluralism in the Baltic States. Oxon: Routledge 2011
- Samalavicius, Stasys: An Outline of Lithuanian History, Diemedis, 1995
- Sabaliauskas, Algirdas: We the Balts, Vilnius, 2005.
- Bojtar, Endre: Forward to the Past. A Cultural History of the Baltic People. 1999
- Gimbutas, Marija: The Balts, London, 1963
- O'Connor, Kevin: Culture and customs of the Baltic states. Greenwood Press, 2006.
- Kuiziniene, D., et al (eds.): History of Lithuanian Culture, Versus Aureus, 2014 [Available on Athena]
- Vaicekauskas, Arunas: Ancient Lithuanian Calendar Festivals, Versus Aureus, 2014 [Available on Athena]
- "Latvian cultural canon" at http://www.kulturaskanons.lv/en/
- https://theculturetrip.com/europe/lithuania/articles/10-lithuanian-artists-and-writers-you- should-know/
- Daija, Pauls: Literary History and Popular Enlightenment in Latvian Culture. Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2017. [Electronic Source]
- Kuiziniene, D., et al (eds.): A Brief History of Lithuanian Literature, Versus Aureus, 2014 [Electronic Source]
- Rubulis, Aleksis: Baltic Literature, London, 1970.
- Silbajoris, Rimvydas: A Short History of Lithuanian Literature, Baltos Lankos, 2002.
- Latvian Literature Centre: http://www.lit-across-frontiers.org/resources/latvian-literature-centre/
- Latvian Literature: http://www.latvianliterature.lv/en/news
- About Lithuanian literature: https://theculturetrip.com/europe/lithuania/articles/7-books-to-help-you-understand-lithuania/
- Estonian Literature Centre: www.estlit.ee
Course Information BAL740 (400 Kb)