Sport and health
180 credits cr.
- Gå till denna sida på svenska webben
As a teacher in school-age education and care and the physical education and health subject, you work with pupils between ages 6-12 years. An important aspect is to, while designing the teaching, be able to intercept and emanate from pupils’ own needs, interests, and experiences.
The assignment is to create meaningful leisure time for pupils that challenge and stimulate learning as well as awaken the desire to create.
During the three-year long programme, you develop professional skill and learn to create pedagogical environments that render play and learning possible. You are introduced to aesthetic learning processes such as music, art, dance, and drama. You also learn to work with multi modal working processes that may include learning mathematics and Swedish outdoors or to use digital tools in teaching.
You also get advanced knowledge in conflict resolution, leadership, and how to work with pupils’ social development. It means, among other things, to work with group activities and democracy projects. Furthermore, you learn to plan, execute, and assess the teaching in school-age education and care in relation to regulatory documents.
Entry Sport and Health
By choosing the entry Sport and health, you will also be able to work as a teacher in the subject in school, from first to sixth form.
The subject studies in sport and health consist of 30 credits and is divided into two modules. After the final subject course, you will have a period of teaching placement with specialisation in physical education, 7,5 credits. There, you will get to follow a physical education teacher on your teaching placement school and attempt at planning and execution of teaching.
As a teacher, you have to be able to set grades in sixth form. In the subject sport and health the studies mean, apart from reading and writing assignments, a lot of practical work. It means skills training, personal development, work, and reflection in group.
The teaching in the subject sport and health happens in cooperation with The Swedish School of Sport and Health Sciences.
The Subject Courses in Sport and Health Treat:
- basic anatomy and physiology
- the human body’s adaptation at different types of physical activities
- the sports culture and its social norms
- children’s motor, psychological, and social development, as well as identity formation and learning in physical education
- different views of play, body, and movement
- basic forms of gymnastics and sports
- movement to music and the basic forms of dance
- the ball and the basic forms of ball games
- the basic forms of swimming, including lifesaving in water
- the basics of outdoor life during different seasons and orientation
Parts of the education have the character of sport laboratory activity, where active and practical participation is a precondition in order to execute the education.
The program consists of 180 ECTS and run over a period of six semesters (three years).
Apart from your specialisation sports and health, 30 ECTS, you read courses in:
- School age educare, 60 ECTS (including a degree project of 15 ECTS)
- The educational science core, 60 ECTS
- Teaching placement, 30 ECTS
During the final semester, you do a degree project, the aim of which is to give you sound bases to develop a scientific approach.
The study programme leads to a Degree of Bachelor of Arts in Primary Education, 180 ECTS.
Find Information about All Courses in Your Study Route
In your study route, you can see which courses you read during each semester. Here, you can also find direct links to each course site.
- School age education and care I: Learning in and about school age educare, Part I, 7, 5 credits
- The history of Education and its role in society, 5 credits
- School Placement I, 2,5 credits
- Perspectives on learning and development, 7,5 credits
- School age educare I: Learning in and out about school age educare, Part II, 7,5 credits
- Art in School I or Music I or Physical Education I, 15 credits
- Law and Ethics in Schools, 2,5 credits
- School Placement II, 5 credits
- School-Age Educare III: Language and Mathematics through Multimodal Learning, 7,5 credits
- Social Relations in School, 7,5 credits
- School Age Educare II, Multimodal Learning and Identity Formation, 7,5 credits
- Art in School II or Music II or Physical Education II, 15 credits
- School Placement III in Music or Art or Physical Education in School, 7,5 credits
- School Age Educare IV: Leadership and collaboration, 7,5 credits
- Presentation and Rhetoric’s, 3,5 credits
- Special Education, 7,5 credits
- Development and Evaluation in Primary and Secondary School, 4 credits
- School-Age Education and Care V: Subject Work in School with Exploratory Methods, 7,5 credits
- Knowledge, Science and Methology, 7,5 credits
- Subject Didactics of School Age Education and Care, Curriculum Theory and Assessment, 15 credits
- Degree Project, Teacher Education Programme for Primary School, Specializing in School-Age Education and Care, 15 credits
- School Placement IV, 15 credits