Latvian Language Proficiency III
7.5 credits cr.
- Gå till denna sida på svenska webben
The course covers Latvian grammar corresponding to the CEFRL level A2.1, and provides both theoretical knowledge about the Latvian language and practical language skills for oral and written everyday communication.
Instruction consists of lectures and seminars.
Compulsory course requirements: participation in discussions and seminars on campus or online via the university teaching platform or other online channel. Assignment submission deadlines are a compulsory part of the course. Completion of the compulsory assignments are obligatory in order to participate in subsequent examinations.
The language of instruction is English.
Instruction takes place on-line or on campus according to each respective course instance.
More detailed information can be found in the course description. The course description is available a month before the start of the course at the latest.
Upon completion of the course the student will have shown an ability to
- identify and analyze grammatical structures in Latvian texts corresponding to the CEFRL level A2.1
- translate texts to Latvian, with the use of aids, corresponding to the CEFRL level A2.1
- carry on a conversation in Latvian in everyday situations
- express oneself in writing in Latvian in everyday situations
Grading criteria (in Swedish)
BA1163_Betygskriterier (302 Kb)
The following methods of examination are used: submitted assignments and participation in discussions and seminars. Continual examination takes place through one written assignment submission in connection with each respective seminar. The basis for weighting the separate examination assignments is explained in the grading criteria.
The examination takes place in English.
If the student has a certificate recommending special pedagogical aid due to functional variance, the examiner has the right to adapt the examination or give an alternative examination to the student.
Examinatorer baltiska språk HT2022 (236 Kb)
ScheduleThe schedule will be available no later than one month before the start of the course. We do not recommend print-outs as changes can occur. At the start of the course, your department will advise where you can find your schedule during the course.
Course literatureNote that the course literature can be changed up to two months before the start of the course.
See syllabus for reading list
- A1 Laipa. Latviešu valoda. Mācību grāmata, 2014. ISBN 978-9984-829-08-1
- A1 Laipa. Latviešu valoda. Darba burtnīca, 2014. ISBN 987-9984-829-09-8
- Self-correcting exercises at https://elaipa.lv/Home/A1
- Audio files and exercises: https://maciunmacies.valoda.lv/speles/Laipa/index.html
- Inga Klēvere-Velhli, Nikole Naua: Latviešu valoda studentiem, Rig 2012. ISBN 978-9984-815-65-7 (Book and CD)
- Dace Prauliņš: Latvian: an essential grammar. Routledge, London, 2012. [Electronic resource]
- Dzintra Kalniņa et al: English-Latvian Dictionary/Latvian-English Dictionary. Avots, Riga, 2003. Or any other appropriate dictionary, or online, eg. http://www.sazinastilts.lv/language-learning/vocabulary, https://lv.glosbe.com, etc.
- Additional material in the modules (on ATHENA)