Second report from ARTofMELT
We have now been at the same ice floe around N80º W1.5º since late on Monday 15 May. This is farther south and west than we would have liked to be, but the ice has been very tough to brake through even with Oden, forcing us more west than north from the last report when we had just reached the ice.
Now we’re moored to this floe and slowly drift south with the ice. Last Sunday, a storm passed with winds gusting well above 25 m/s and heavy (sideways) snowfall. But neither anything nor anyone broke and our measurements on board keep working all the time.
These last few days we have had very sunny weather although the temperatures have been between around –10ºC.
We have exercised almost all of our assets; we have flown the Helikite tethered balloon today and before that the Helipod package hanging under the helicopter and there has been a lot of sampling of snow, water and ice. In addition to all the continuous measurements that go on onboard at all times. There are now increasing temperatures in the longer forecast, which is exactly what we are looking for, and therefore we intend to stay here at least until Saturday 20 May, making this a fairly long ice station.
Last updated: May 22, 2023