Study abroad

There are various opportunities to study abroad during your education at the Department of Asian, Middle Eastern and Turkey Studies.

Most of our courses are organized in a way that simplifies studies abroad during a specific semester or academic year. If you are interested in going as an exchange student for one or two semesters, there are two options: departmental or central (university-wide) agreements. If you want to be abroad for a shorter period, maybe a summer course, a traineeship or field studies could be an option for you.

Here you find updated information about exchange with regards to the coronavirus:

Coronavirus – Information for students about exchange


Central agreements, that are on a general university level, can be applied to regardless of your specific department. These agreements are signed with universities outside of Europe, which currently are in North America, South America, Asia (China, Japan and Korea), and Oceania. Currently there are no agreements in the Middle East. The central agreements and networks are administered by the Student Services.

If you go on an exhange through a central agreement, there are no additional tuition fees and you get insurance that covers your stay abroad.

All applications for central exchange agreements are administered one year in advance by the Student Services.

Exchange studies (Central agreements)

As part of your application for a central exchange agreement, you must make a preliminary choice of courses at the universities where you apply for an exchange.

Go through the courses at the universities you have chosen and then contact Hanna Kritz, Director of Studies at the department to discuss your preliminary course choices.


The department administers outgoing students for a few central agreements in Japan and one in China. When you apply for an exchange through one of these agreements, you only compete with other students at the department who studies the same subject as you.

Information about the announcements and application to these exhanges can be  obtained through Athena, or by contacting Hanna Kritz (Japan) or Johan Fresk (China).


A departmental agreement is limited to a subject area, which you must study at the subject related department in order to apply. Such agreements in Europe are called Erasmus+ and outside Europe bilateral agreements.

The departmental agreements are only open to students who study at the Department of Asian, Middle Eastern and Turkish Studies. Currently, the department has three bilateral agreements with Sogang University in South Korea, Hang Seng University of Hong Kong in Hong Kong and Osaka University in Japan.

These bilateral agreements are mainly intended for students enrolled in the Master's programme in Asian Studies.

The department also has three Erasmus+ agreements, with:
Albert-Ludwig University of Freiburg im Breisgau (Germany)
Università Ca'Foscari Venezia  (Italy)
University of Iceland (Iceland)

Unfortunately, there are currently no departmental agreements in the Middle East or North Africa.


Students at Stockholm University can work as an intern, write an essay, or collect data abroad through the two scholarship programmes; Erasmus+ or the Minor Field Studies.

More information about the different scholarships and terms of application


The core of ​​exchange studies is that you should be able to transfer the credit from your foreign studies as part of your education.

To ensure that you can take your foreign studies into account in your education, you must write a Learning Agreement well in advance of your departure.

A learning argeement of the syllabus of your exchange, to which credit are to be transferred, must be agreed upon by the Director of Studies for your subject at the department.

When you return home after your exchange, you must apply for credits for your studies abroad in Ladok.

To apply for credit, log in to Ladok with your university account and follow the instructions there.


Exchange students do not have to pay tuision fees when studying abroad. However, other fees may apply such as registration fee, extra insurance or medical certificates. CSN grants funding for studies abroad, provided that you meet the requirements.

Student grants and loans for studies outside Sweden

If you are accepted as an exchange student in the Nordic countries or Europe, you can apply for Erasmus+ Scholarships or Nordplus Scholarships to cover the extra costs involved in studying abroad.

Scholarships for exchange students

Calls for application



All outgoing exchange students from Stockholm University are covered by the ‘Student UT’ insurance by Kammarkollegiet. If you are traveling within the EU or EEA you should also bring your European Health Insurance Card.

Practical information about exchange studies



International coordinator for studies abroad

For questions regarding studies abroad within your education at the Department of Asian, Middle Eastern and Turkish Studies.

International coordinator for studies abroad
On this page