During your studies

Here you will find information about support and service for students that you can benefit from during your studies.

Photo: Henrik Berglund/Familjen



Schedule and course literature

Our department uses Athena as a course platform for course communication. Here you will find your schedule, syllabus, course materials, assignments and more. You can access the course location on Athena when you have registered and activated your university account.

Log in to Athena

Additional information on how to find your schedule


Students with disabilities have special rights. To be able to take part in the help that the university can offer, a certificate must be formulated stating the recommended support measures you have.

Contact Service for students with disabilities well in advance of the start of studies to discuss your individual support needs and to obtain the necessary information:

Study with a disability


Study counselors, course administrators and study directors answer questions about course selection at the undergraduate and advanced level (master's courses) as well as the doctoral programs in both of these subjects.

See contacts for Study counselling here


Discontinuation of studies, study breaks and resumption of studies

If you are going to discontinue studies it is important that you notify the department. If you only want to take a temporary study break and know when you will resume studies, you should apply for a ‘study break’. When you want to resume your studies after the study break you would need to apply for ‘resumption’ of studies.

If you want to discontinue studying then you are obliged to notify the department at the earliest. Discontinuation of studies begins from the date of notification. You cannot retroactively register discontinuation of studies if you cannot provide evidence of earlier notification regarding the same. Registration of discontinuation of studies within three weeks after course start means that you have not taken the course/program at all, and you can apply again the usual way. If you register discontinuation of studies three weeks after course start then you can still continue studies at a later time depending on availability of place/seat.

If you have not notified discontinuation of studies, or if application for study break has been rejected and still choose to take a break, then you must apply for re-admission for each semester within the framework of the program’s examination rights. Approval of study break and resumption of studies implies that completion of the program is guaranteed within the framework of the program’s examination rights. This guarantee is only valid for the semester/semesters for which your application has been approved.

Discontinuation from an elective must be registered with the program administrator at studentexpeditionen@ekohist.su.se furnishing the following information:

  • Given name and surname
  • Social security number
  • Start date of discontinuation (yy-mm-dd – earliest date of registration)
  • Details of the discontinued elective/electives

If you have taken a CSN study loan then you are obliged to register with CSN, failing which you are liable to receive repayment claims. You can print out a valid study/merit certificate via the portal Digital tools and services.

Application for study break must be completed and sent to studentexpeditionen@ekohist.su.se with the following information:

  • Given name and surname
  • Social security number
  • Reasons for study break
  • Study break start date and end date (for whole term or for specific dates)
  • Date for resuming studies (for whole term or for specific dates)
  • Details of the course/program falling within the study break.

If you are not sure how long you will be taking the study break then provide a provisional date. Study breaks are approved for a maximum of one year at a time on the condition that we can guarantee a place/seat in the program.

In order to ensure your study place/seat in the program after the study break, applications for the resumption of studies must be sent (via e-post) latest by April 1 for the Fall Semester and October 1 for the Spring Semester. Applications sent after these dates may result in not securing a place/seat and consequently resumption of studies not being approved.

Those who have not registered study break in advance can continue studies on return depending on availability of place/seat.

The Högskoleförordningen  (1993:100) states that in individual cases, and if there are special reasons, an institution of higher education can decide that the admitted person can continue studies after study break. The Universitets- och högskolerådets (University and Higher Education Council) ordinance clarifies:

4 § Special reasons to be able to continue studies after study break can be social, medical reasons, or other special circumstances like care of sick child, military or civic services, student union duties.

Special reasons can also be temporary probationary employment according to 12 § lagen (2012:332) and armed forces employment or service in the Armed Forces of the employed who periodically serves as squad leader, soldier or sailor under this ordinance (HSVFS 2012:8).

5 § The higher education institution’s decision to permit a student continue studies after study break shall be for a fixed period of time.

A decision that a student can continue studies after study break may be conditional to notification before the time when the studies shall continue.

Those who have not registered study break in advance can continue with studies upon return, subject to availability of place/seat.



Study counseller
Course administrator - Master students / Advanced level
Course administrator
Course administrator - exchange studies
On this page