Study abroad

As a student at Stockholm University you have various options if you wish to study abroad for one or two terms.

Our department, and many others, have bilateral exchange agreements with different universities. If there is no departmental agreement with the university or the country that you would like to study in, you can look into one of Stockholm University’s central agreements, or you can find out about studying abroad as a 'free mover'.


Our exchange agreements

The Department of English has bilateral exchange agreements with a number of universities, mainly through the Erasmus+ programme. To be eligible, you need to have completed one year’s studies (60 credits) at a Swedish university or university college and of those at least 30 credits have to be in English studies with us.

The deadline for applications for our bilateral agreements is in March, if you wish to go abroad in the autumn term, and in October, for the spring term. Exact dates will be specified ahead of each term.

Studies abroad autumn 2024

Each term we have an information session for students interested in one of our bilateral agreements. The information is published on Athena for students currently taking English 1 and 2. If you are not a student on those courses but want to attend, contact us at

The information session during the spring term will take place on Monday 29 January, between 11.00 and 11.30, in room F497. The application deadline for studies abroad in the autumn term 2024 is Sunday 4 February. Interviews will be held on Wednesday 7 February.

The following documents need to be enclosed with the application:

1. The form  Application for exchange studies (pdf) (774 Kb) .

2. A letter presenting yourself and motivating why you would like to study abroad (approximately 500-600 words). The letter should be in English (PDF format).

3. A transcript of records (from Ladok).


Stockholm University exchange agreement

Stockholm University also has exchange agreements with a number of universities and countries. Information about these programmes and how you apply is available on the Stockholm University central website.

Go international


Free mover

You can also decide to study abroad on your own as a ‘free mover’, that is, not through one of the University’s exchange programmes. As a ‘free mover’ you decide where you want to study and for how long, but you need to arrange it yourself, and you will be liable to potential fees in the country in question.

On this page