Study abroad

There are different ways of studying abroad as a Stockholm University student. Find out about exchange studies, traineeships and other possibilities to go international.


Exchange studies

There are several possibilities to go on a study exchange as a student at the Department of Culture and Aesthetics. 

A student exchange means that two universities exchange students between them, thus there are no additional student fees. You are able to apply for either one or two semesters, and there is a possibility to receive a scholarship if you do your exchange within the programmes Erasmus+, Nordplus or north2north.

Stockholm University offers two different exchange and network possibilities: departmental and central/university-wide.

Paris National Library Photo: Giovanni Gagliardi / Mostphotos
Paris National Library. 
Photo: Giovanni Gagliardi / Mostphotos

Through Erasmus+, you have the opportunity to study part of your degree in one of the partner universities of the Department of Culture and Aesthetics. Through the student exchange, you will not have to pay any additional student fees and you will be granted a scholarship.

We currently have exchange agreements with around 20 universities in Europe, for example in France, Czech republic, Italy, Great Britain, and the Netherlands.

List of partner universities 2021–2022 (in Swedish) (209 Kb)


Students at Stockholm University can work as an intern, write an essay, or collect data abroad through the two scholarship programmes; Erasmus+ or the Minor Field Studies.


Writing an essay through Erasmus+

If you are enrolled in a higher education credit course where you are required to write an essay, you may apply to Erasmus+ to receive a scholarship if you are:

  • Collecting data for an essay or dissertation at, for example, a company, school, clinic, lad, hospital or other, at full time. This does not apply to research.
  • Writing an essay at a higher education institution.

The above falls under the same category as doing an internship abroad. The application process, selection and more will therefore be the same as for internships.

Click here for more information

Female student sitting in the mountains. Photo: Tyler Nix
Photo: Tyler Nix

Minor Field Studies (MFS)

If you wish to conduct a field study in a developing country as a part of your Undergraduate or Master’s degree project, you may do so through the MFS scholarship. The Minor Field Studies (MFS) programme funded by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida). The scholarship gives you the possibility to spend 8 weeks in a developing country to conduct a field study for your bachelor's or master's degree project/essay. You need a supervisor at Stockholm University and a contact person in the host country that can assist with practical matters.

The application period for doing a Mindor Field Study during the spring 2022 is 20 Sept - 20 Oct, 2021.

Click here to learn more about MFS


Do you want to study abroad without having to spend a whole semester away? The CIVIS Alliance, in which Stockholm University is a participant, offers several courses for students who want to study a short term course at one or more partner universities in Europe.


•    are free of charge for Civis-students (with some exceptions for fee-paying students)
•    provide the opportunity to apply for funding for the trip and accommodation (application at the home university)

Find further information and application instructions here




Exchange Coordinator
On this page